FAQs and Terms & Conditions
The Photographers’ Gallery’s New Talent Award 2021 (TNT’21) supports emerging and under-recognised photographers in the UK. This year, 6 finalists will be selected by esteemed Brazilian artist Rosângela Rennó from an open call. Now in its second iteration, TNT’21 will offer each finalist an online exhibition, a bursary of £1,500, a year-long mentorship with a photographer or industry professional, and chance to exhibit their work on a public art frieze outside the Gallery forming part of the future Soho Photography Quarter.
Applications can be made online, there are no education or qualification requirements, no age limit, and it is free to apply. Any emerging UK-based photographer, artist (or artistic duo) whose practice has a significant focus on photography, and has not had a public solo exhibition or published a monograph by a third-party publisher is eligible*.
Finalists will also be invited to participate in an Instagram takeover on the Gallery’s social media channels, and will have an artist’s interview posted on the TNT’21 online platform. Each participant will also be carefully paired with a mentor whose creative or professional practice will complement their practice for a year-long mentorship.
*Please read the FAQ’s and terms and conditions in their entirety before considering your application.
Who can apply?
Any emerging UK-based photographer, artist or artist duo whose practice has a significant focus on photography and who has not had a significant solo exhibition, or published a monograph by a third-party publisher can apply. There is no age limit, and no need to have studied at an educational institution in the UK or elsewhere. Please note, in the context of the programme, ‘UK-based’ applies to those who currently live in the UK for the majority of the year (over six months). A ‘third party published monograph’ does not include group show catalogues, self-published zines, self-published artists books, small press publications or publications by artists collectives. A ‘significant solo exhibition’ is considered for the purpose of this programme to be a one-person presentation organised by a commercial gallery or publicly funded gallery. It does not restrict anyone who has been involved in self-initiated, artist run or peer organised exhibitions in non-commercial spaces from applying.
TNT encourages applications from all individuals who meet the criteria and whose work shows talent, originality and innovation. The Photographers’ Gallery is committed to equal opportunities and we encourage applications from all persons without discrimination.
How to apply?
Online applications will be accepted through the Open Call Submission Portal between the dates specified.
It is free to enter and each photographer/artist may submit a personal statement of up to 200 words, and up to two series of work – 16 images in total. Each series can be represented by up to 8 images (installation images can be included, but as part of the 8, file formats: .jpg file size up to 1MB per image, no more than 16MB per total submission) with captions, and up to 400 word each project description. If animation or moving image are part of your practice, some alternative files types at a limited size can be supported, please email email@example.com with the file type you would like to use, and it can be discussed. We advise that this, or any other queries about your submission are emailed at least a week before the deadline so that you have time to transfer to a supported file type if necessary. Projects must have been started January 2017 or later, but do not have to be completed. If you have not heard from us by (date) please assume your application has not been successful.
How will the participants be selected?
TNT is open to all forms of photographic/ artistic practices and there is no specific theme. The guest selector brings their own expertise to the judging criteria, and the programme is seeking exceptionally talented photographers and artists working with photography. The curatorial team at The Photographers’ Gallery will reduce the total submissions to 50, and the artist selector Rosângela Rennó will select the final 6 from those 50.
How will the mentorship work?
The team at TPG will discuss with each participant the type of specialist support they would perceive as being beneficial to them in developing their skills, practice or career, and TPG will invite an artist/photographer or industry professional who is suited to these needs. The mentorship will be over a year and consist of a minimum of 4 significant meet ups and some support and contact between these meetings.
How will the bursaries work?
These are offered to the artist as an award. The artist is free to spend the bursary entirely as they wish.
How will the work be shown?
On an online platform dedicated to the programme, on the general TPG website, on TPG’s social media platforms and in an outdoor display in the public realm in the Soho Photography Quarter.
By submitting your application for TNT you are accepting the following Terms and Conditions. This agreement constitutes the entire and only agreement between you and The Photographers’ Gallery. The Photographers’ Gallery is a not for profit, independent, educational charity (UK Charity Commission no. 262548).
- I have been living in the UK since January 2020 and I live here for the majority of the year.
- I confirm all the works submitted are my own and I have the intellectual copyright to use, exhibit and distribute them.
- My artistic practice uses photography as a central component.
- I have not published a photography or artist book with a third-party publisher (see Who Can Apply in FAQ’s for further explanation).
- I have not had a significant solo exhibition (see Who Can Apply in FAQ’s for further explanation).
- I am not a staff member at The Photographers’ Gallery, or a sponsor of the organisation.
- I understand that I have only permitted one individual application to TNT '21, and I have not entered other work under any other name.
- I understand that the name, captions, texts and images or moving image files I upload to the TNT submissions site will be reviewed by The Photographers’ Gallery curatorial staff, and a shortlist of 50 submissions will be reviewed by Rosângela Rennó.
- The Photographers’ Gallery will only accept applications submitted through the submissions website, submissions by post or email will not be accepted. The Photographers’ Gallery cannot offer feedback on any individual application.
- If selected, I allow my images to be used in print material, and online (including social media and other platforms) for marketing, press, promotional and educational purposes related to the TNT programme and The Photographers’ Gallery’s wider activities. Any images used will be fully and accurately credited when sent to press and third parties by The Photographers’ Gallery. Copyright for all texts and images remains with the artist.
- As the Art Frieze outdoor display of the work will be in the public realm, I accept that TPG may need to edit or crop my work so it is appropriate for showing in this public arena. The curators will involve me fully in discussion about any edits for the public realm.
- If my application is successful, my name, text and selected works can be uploaded to The Photographers’ Gallery website and will be accessible to the public. My work will remain part of the Gallery’s online archive for an indefinite period. Occasionally images may be cropped for the purposes of fitting website or social media formats, this will only be done when absolutely necessary.
- The Photographers’ Gallery reserves the right to edit, extended texts submitted through the application process, this will be done in consultation with the participants.
- All submitted information, text and images are my sole responsibility, not The Photographers’ Gallery’s, and do not breach any third-party copyright. I am entirely responsible for all content that I have uploaded or make otherwise available.
- I do not hold The Photographers’ Gallery, including it’s staff and trustees, responsible for any losses, claims, liabilities, expenses, damages, and costs, including reasonable legal fees, resulting from any violation of these Terms and Conditions or any activity related to the service (including negligent or wrongful conduct) by myself of another person.
- One or two photographic series - with up to 16 images in total (file format: .jpg filme size up to 1mb per image, no more than 16MB per total submission).
- A brief description of each series (up to 400 words per series), a personal statement (up to 200 words) in support of your application and optional individual image captions.
If you have any questions regarding your application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you have not been notified that your work has been selected by July 22nd, please assume your application has not been successful).