If you are planning on bringing a group larger than 10 to the Gallery, please book your visit in advance here.
For groups smaller than 10, there is no need to book.
Pre-booked educational group visits (min 10, max 33) after 12.00: £1 per person including group leaders. Please pay on arrival.
Before 12.00: Free
Age 18 and under: Free
A limited number of pre-bookable workshops for schools, colleges and community groups are available on a first come, first served basis.
We offer two types of 90-minute workshops to get students looking, thinking, talking and making. Workshops are suitable for KS2 and upward, and cost £150 for groups of up to 33 students.
Visual Literacy Workshop
This workshop, led by a photographer, centres around an exhibition currently on show at the gallery. Students take part in group discussion, image analysis and practical assignments responding to themes in the exhibition, all aimed at improving visual literacy.
This workshop takes place in both our Studio space and Galleries, and includes a visit to at least one exhibition.
- To consider the formal elements and vocabulary used to describe photographs
- To explore how ideas, feelings and meanings are conveyed and interpreted through images
- To reflect on how the context of an image shapes how we read it
- To develop an understanding of the term visual literacy
Camera Obscura Workshop
In this workshop, led by a photographer, students will explore the history and science of photography using The Photographers’ Gallery’s own Camera Obscura.
After experimenting with the Camera Obscura room, students will take part in a practical activity, working in pairs create their own hand-held pinhole Camera Obscuras.
This workshop takes place in our Studio space, and we do not visit the exhibitions as part of the session. A self-led visit of the exhibitions before or after your workshop can be arranged on request.
- To develop an understanding of the science behind how a Camera Obscura works, and its applications throughout history
- To work collaboratively to make functioning hand-held Camera Obscuras
- To explore different ways of capturing images using the Camera Obscura
To book a workshop, please fill in the Group Booking Form here. Please note, we ask that you do not submit a Group Booking Form until you have confirmed dates for your trip. Upon receipt of your form, a member of our bookings team will arrange a photographer to lead the session, and will then be in touch to confirm your booking.