This event is part of our Past Programme
An incredible opportunity to discuss your work & receive considered and relevant feedback in a supportive environment. Would definitely recommend!Participating photographer in our October 2023 session
Please note: presenting photographers must book ahead and attend from 12.00 – 17.00 Open to gallery visitors from 14.00 – 17.00, and included with exhibition entrance.
Folio Fridays are our regular in-person portfolio review and networking sessions for photographers and artists working with photography.
These sessions are free for participating photographers and include two presentations by photography professionals, as well as time for a complimentary lunch and networking with participating photographers. As part of this session, each photographer will receive two, 15-minute one-to-one reviews from the two photography professionals and an opportunity to share work with other participating artists/photographers, as well as gallery visitors.
This session's reviewers are Eva Eicker and Steve Macleod. The session is closed to the public from noon to 14.00 for reviewer presentations, lunch and discussion. From 14.00 to 17.00, we open the door to gallery visitors. In this way, Folio Friday creates opportunities for the public to view and discuss work with presenting photographers and is included with exhibition entrance.
If you're a photographer or artist wanting feedback on your work or a recent project – either completed or in progress – Folio Fridays are there to support you.
Please read before you book...
- Everyone presenting work must attend the full session from noon to 17.00.
- Each photographer is allocated an individual table where you can present your form in physical/digital form for feedback. (Please, no framed work.)
- Book one space per photographer. (However, if there are two people presenting a joint project, book one space only.)
- Only book if you're ready to share your work.
- Please don't book for someone else.
- We will contact you ahead of the session to find out what format you're presenting in and other information.
- If you have presented at Folio Friday in the past three years, please leave the space for another photographer or artist as there are limited spaces each month.
Tips for sharing your work
- Think about what you want to get out of the afternoon and be prepared to articulate this to people, eg. specific or general feedback, sales, etc;
- Bring along business or postcards with your contact details or website;
- Do use social media to alert people ahead of, or during, your session;
- Keep in mind that The Photographers’ Gallery’s audiences come from a wide range of backgrounds - from photography specialists to people with a more general interest and enthusiasm.
- You will be emailed to confirm your participation around one week in advance of the session. (Please check your junk mail.) At this point, we can answer any questions you have.
Eva Eicker is a curator and writer, with an expertise in photography. With a background in Anthropology, she has a keen interest in interdisciplinary aspects such as sound and materiality in relation to photography. Recent work includes the National Portrait Gallery (London) curating the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize (2022) and In Focus: Jeano Edwards. She has also held positions with Studio Tacita Dean, Magnum Photos (London) and The Photographers’ Gallery.
Professor Steve Macleod is a polymath creative who dedicates unbounded enthusiasm for the arts and education. Director at Metro Imaging, one of Europe’s leading production houses; inventor of several photographic processes and master printer; Visiting Professor at University of Suffolk; current EA at RGU, Aberdeen; Trustee and Deputy Chair of QEST (Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust); commissioned artist with Hospital Rooms Mental Health Arts charity; educational mentor and represented artist with Black Box Projects in London.
Pre-booking for members
A limited number of places are available for members to book in advance, from Wednesday 8 November from noon. All other places are available from Friday 10 November at noon.
Not a member? Become a member.